New Members: Please help spread the word about the new Runaway Camper forum.

Search
Close this search box.

Welcome to the Runaway Camper Forum!

Free Texas Beach Ca…

Notifications 
Clear all

Free Texas Beach Camping at Magnolia Beach

Matthew M
(@tiny-ohm)
Trusted Member Admin
Topic starter

GPS28.5599, ‑96.537

I took the Tiny Ohm on a quick little trip to test out my new off-grid system.

If you didn’t know, you can camp on the beach in Texas FOR FREE in a few different places. Yeah, it’s on the Gulf, but it’s still a little beach life and who doesn’t like free.

One of the more popular places is called Magnolia Beach and it’s located in Port Lavaca. This is a favorite for many because you don’t need a 4x4 to get there (sand is packed down) and there is still really good cell service. You can even take a big RV if you wanted but here are a few things to be aware of though:

• You’re limited to a 14-day stay within a 30-day limit.
  • Park perpendicular to the beach and not parallel. Park ranger will come and tell you to move if you don’t follow this rule.
  • Verizon service is great.
  • No hook-ups, but they have a decent bathroom & shower facility. They are cleaned daily and are typically well respected by fellow campers…with one rare exception
  • Weekender/holiday party crowds can occur. These groups are usually disliked by other campers because they disturb the peace and do not respect others. Don’t be this crowd.
  • The first area is the most used, but there are three. keep driving down and down be afraid to space yourself out.
  • Don’t be the person who runs a gas generator. Everyone else will be annoyed by you.
  • Wind can get really strong

Personally, I really enjoyed it here. There’s a good mix of people that includes tents, offgriders/overlanders, vanlifers, RV’ers, fisherman, people stopping in for a night to sleep before they move on, etc.

There’s a small little convenience store/gas station nearby. I’m not sure if they had diesel but they have gas and a few essential items. Port Lavaca is a quick 20-minute drive or so and there’s a grocery store and a few fast food places to eat. I didn’t find any seafood restaurants or any nice restaurants for that matter, but Victoria is about 3–40 minutes away and is a much nicer/larger town. The beach has grills and cabana spaces you can use also, but I advise stocking up before getting out there.

As for the water, it’s technically a bay and is pretty shallow. You won’t need to worry about big tide shifts or anything like that. You can swim in it, but be mindful of beach fishermen.

IMG 4222
IMG 4188
IMG 4192
IMG 4197
IMG 4268
IMG 4292
IMG 4308
IMG 4313
IMG 4328
IMG 4357
IMG 4362

Forum Rules, Tiny Ohm Build, Tiny Ohm Rentals

Posted : 13/04/2022 10:32 am
Chad D reacted
Share:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Contact us
Head Office

570 Upton Park,Birmingham, UK

Email

hello @gadgetfix.xom

Phone

+14 557 677 001

Follow us